Posted by: Marita on: May 22, 2010
We’ve been a little crazy busy and unwell this last fortnight and I’ve been unable to hit the Op Shops, which makes me very sad.
However I’m not going to neglect Secondhand Saturday, this week I’m going to be posting a Secondhand recipe.
Pumpkin Pie is something I’d been reading about fairly often online, it seems to be a very popular American dish and back in 2007 when I was looking at doing a Christmas in July function one of my good friends online gave me this Pumpkin Pie recipe.
|From May 2010|
I’ve made this recipe up numerous times since 2007 when I first tried it and have found a few tips.
– Use roasted pumpkin – preferably a firmer variety such as Gray or Japanese - the roasting gives greater flavour and also reduces liquid content.
– The recipe perfectly fills 12 mini pie shells and 2 large pastry shells purchased from the Coles bakery section. The frozen Pampas shells are a little larger so the filling doesn’t go as far – but the shells are sweeter.
– The pumpkin pie filling can be frozen and used later.
– It makes DIVINE ice-cream.
– You can make this using soy milk for a dairy free version. I’ve also made my own pie shells using gluten free biscuits for a dairy and gluten free dessert.
– Many Aussies are initially hesitant to try Pumpkin Pie but after that first taste, one is never enough
Go on, try it, you know you want to
Comments are closed.